Educational Services | Regional System of District and School Support (RSDSS)
Preparing Long-Term English Learners (LTELs) for College and the Workforce
The Regional System of District and School Support (RSDSS) was established by the California Department of Education under the authority of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act in 1996. The system funds activities to support Title I schools and districts to improve student achievement and to close the achievement gap.
RCOE and the Assessment and Accountability Services unit serve as lead LEA for the four inland county regions (Riverside, Inyo, Mono, San Bernardino counties).
RSDSS partially funds the RCOE Assessment and Accountability Services collaboration with the RCOE Instructional Services unit, the California Comprehensive Assistance Center at WestEd, and the California Department of Education and other agencies to:
- Provide grant-funded intensive professional development for school and district systems to support sustained implementation of differentiated instruction focused on English Learners (ELs) in classrooms and to promote transition to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
- Offer county-wide professional development and technical assistance to all schools and districts with an emphasis of integrating goals of Title I and Title III, following RSDSS statewide Foundational Service Goals.
- Support the improvement of student achievement in Title I Program Improvement schools, particularly in Corrective Action schools and schools planning for and implementing Alternative Governance/Restructuring mandates from ESEA. RCOE emphasizes integration of Title I and Title III goals in these school plans where appropriate.
- Support districts identified as Program Improvement districts to improve district systemic support for schools to increase student achievement, to integrate Title III goals where appropriate and to transition to the CCSS.
- Promote meaningful parent and community involvement.
- Help districts implement the requirements of Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) and simultaneously, where appropriate, Title III requirements.
- Coordinate and facilitate meetings of Riverside County Categorical Project Directors and English Learner Directors.
Complete listing of Statewide RSDSS Foundation Goals 1-5.
RSDSS-Supported Services in Riverside County
Brochure: “Preparing Long-Term English Learners (LTELs) for College and the Workforce” September, 2012
January 29, 2012, The Long-Term English Learner (LTEL) Institute featuring Laurie Olsen: (Link available in November)
1. Systemic District, School, Classroom Support
Systemic District and Site Support for Differentiated Instruction Through Universal Design. This service is provided free to eligible districts which are selected in the spring prior to the year of service. (2011-12 Brochure: Differentiated Instruction Through Universal Design) The 2012-13 brochure will be posted by October 15, 2012.
The following links correspond with the brochure “Preparing Long-Term English Learners (LTELs) for College and the Workforce”. The links provide details about the workshop and registration information.
2. Systemic District and School Support
Preventing and Accelerating Long-Term English Learners - http://rcoe.k12oms.org/485-60713
Making Money Matter for LTELs and Common Core State Standards - http://rcoe.k12oms.org/486-63524
3. Best Classroom Practice
Differentiated Instruction for English Learners: Elementary Level (K-5) - http://rcoe.k12oms.org/485-59440
Differentiated Instruction for English Learners: Secondary Level (6-12) - http://rcoe.k12oms.org/485-59824
Strategic English Language Arts for English Learners (6-12) http://rcoe.k12oms.org/485-59718
4. Other District and School Supports
Title III and Program Improvement School Planning, Monitoring, and Support Series
Day 1, October 30, 2012 - http://rcoe.k12oms.org/486-63515
Day 1, November 1, 2012 - http://rcoe.k12oms.org/486-63517
Day 2, November 27, 2012 - http://rcoe.k12oms.org/486-63538
Day 2, December 5, 2012 - http://rcoe.k12oms.org/485-63539
PI Year 3 Corrective Action - http://rcoe.k12oms.org/486-63518
PI Year 4 and Year 5 Restructuring - http://rcoe.k12oms.org/486-63521
2012-13 materials for Title III and Program Improvement School, Planning, Monitoring, and Support Series.
Project and English Learner Director Meetings - http://rcoe.k12oms.org/486-58821
Family Involvement Network - http://rcoe.k12oms.org/485-59828
Long-Term English Learner (LTEL) Task Force - http://rcoe.k12oms.org/485-59498
Categorical Programs 101
RCOE-Revised State Tools
RCOE revised the following state tools in December 2012 for use by 2012-13 Program Improvement Districts or PI Corrective Action Districts in January 2013. These are not official state tools. When the official tools are released, we shall link to them. No date has been set for the release of official state tools.
- Elementary Academic Program Survey
- Middle School Academic Program Survey
- High School Academic Program Survey
- Inventory of Services for Students with Disabilities
- District Assistance Survey
Russell Frank, Ph.D., Director