The Riverside County Board of Education is seeking qualified candidates who may have an interest in an appointment to serve as the Riverside County Superintendent of Schools through January 7, 2019. The appointee will fill the vacancy created by the retirement of the current county superintendent of schools, effective January 5, 2017.
The Riverside County Superintendent of Schools is responsible for the statutory and other lawful duties of the office, including but not limited to, the following:
(a) Superintend the schools of his or her county.
(b) Maintain responsibility for the fiscal oversight of each school district in his or her county pursuant to the authority granted by this code.
(c) Visit and examine each school in his or her county at reasonable intervals to observe its operation and to learn of its problems. He or she annually may present a report of the state of the schools in his or her county, and of his or her office, including, but not limited to, his or her observations while visiting the schools, to the board of education and the board of supervisors of his or her county.
Additional information regarding the duties of the Superintendent may be found in Board Policy Numbers 2000-2240 (http://www.rcoe.us/riverside-county-board-of-education/board-policies/series-2000/)
All potential candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- Be a registered voter and resident of Riverside County at the time of appointment per California Government Code Section 24001
- Possess appropriate credentials per California Education Code Sections 1205-1208
- Submit a letter of interest and résumé
- Candidate must be available to take office on February 1, 2017 and fulfill the remainder of the term through January 7, 2019
Salary and compensation is negotiable and will be determined by the Board. Interested applicants must submit a letter of interest and résumé to Riverside County Office of Education, Personnel Services Office, 3958 12th Street, Riverside, CA 92501. Application materials may also be electronically submitted by sending a letter of interest and résumé to Steve Hovey, email@example.com. All application materials must be received by December 29, 2016, at 5 p.m.
The Board has established the following anticipated selection and appointment process and timeline (all meetings will be conducted in open session):
- November 22, 2016, 4 p.m., (Riverside) – Special Meeting – Receive Public Input on the Appointment of the Riverside County Superintendent of Schools
- December 7, 2016, 4 p.m., (Indio) – Regular Meeting – Receive Public Input on the Appointment of the Riverside County Superintendent of Schools
- January 4, 2017, 4 p.m., (Riverside) – Regular Meeting – Appointment of the Riverside County Superintendent of Schools
- January 11, 2017, 4:30 p.m. (Riverside) – Special Meeting – Appointment of the Riverside County Superintendent of Schools
The Board, however, reserves the right to modify the process and timeline. Board meetings in Riverside will be held at the Riverside County Office of Education (3939 13th Street, Riverside, CA 92501), while the December 7 meeting in Indio will be held at the Riverside County Office of Education, 47-336 Oasis St. Indio, CA 92201-6946.
Riverside County residents who are interested in submitting their input to the Board on the qualifications for the appointed county superintendent can attend the meeting in Riverside on November 22, 2016, or in Indio on December 7, 2016. Alternatively, input from the public can be submitted to Riverside County Office of Education, Personnel Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org.