All students in Riverside County will graduate from high school well prepared for college and the workforce.
The mission of the Riverside County Office of Education focuses on ensuring the success of all students. Our Pledge to our stakeholders serves to define student success in relevant, measurable and achievable terms. We are committed to the accomplishment of our mission by focusing on our Pledge. It drives everything we do at the RCOE.
The mission of the Riverside County Office of Education (RCOE) is to ensure the success of all students through extraordinary service, support, and partnerships.
At RCOE, our goal is for every employee in our organization to be diligently engaged in efforts to ensure the success of all students in the county. This is coordinated through “extra” ordinary service, support and partnerships to students, families, schools, and school districts countywide.
What makes a service, support or partnership “extra ordinary”? We believe the answer to this is in “extra effort” that is put forth by our employees in the right way, at the right time, with the right attitude. It also includes identifying highly effective services, programs, and supports that are not currently being provided and bringing them into the organization so they can be evaluated, piloted, and assessed for potential benefit to those we serve and support in the context of student success.
The vision of the Riverside County Office of Education (RCOE) is to be a collaborative organization characterized by the highest quality employees providing leadership, programs, and services to school districts, schools, and students countywide.
As a “collaborative” organization our aim is to listen to, share with, participate in and work together with other educational agencies, professional organizations, community and civic groups, businesses, parents and students, and governmental entities. Public education has many stakeholders and we strive to work cooperatively with all of them in order to ensure that all students succeed.
The term “characterized by” in our vision denotes RCOE’s single most distinguishing feature—our “highest quality employees.” Highest quality in this sense is synonymous with extraordinary, and it takes extraordinary employees in order to realize our vision. The word extraordinary imposes a comparison between the average and something extra—something that rises above and beyond average. At RCOE, we believe that something “extra” is the extra effort put forth by each employee in the right way, at the right time, with the right attitude.
At RCOE, our extraordinary employees perform three primary functions:
- Provide Leadership – RCOE is a leadership organization. All positions in the organization contain elements of leadership, ranging from classroom teachers to custodians, from instructional aids to the superintendent. This concept of individual leadership involves taking personal ownership of problems and issues to make sure they get resolved properly. Our extraordinary employees use their leadership skills and abilities both in their daily work and in helping to build leadership capacity in others—both internally and externally.
- Provide Programs – RCOE directly operates several unique and vital educational programs, including Special Education, Migrant Education, Juvenile Hall, Head Start, and Career Technical Education. We strive to ensure that all of these programs are fully interconnected and completely aligned with our mission. The successful operation of these programs becomes a significant part of the realization of our vision.
- Provide Services – EVERYTHING we do at RCOE, both inside and outside the organization is about service. Indeed, the very heart and soul of our vision is based on servant leadership. Our staff members are continually working to enhance existing services and find the most effective ways to provide other services needed to help improve student success across Riverside County.
The primary beneficiaries of our leadership, programs and services are school districts, schools, students and families countywide.
Our Core Values
The work we are engaged in at the Riverside County Office of Education (RCOE) demands total and complete cooperation among all of us. It requires open and honest professional communication between each of us. It requires us to use important interpersonal skills for self-reflection and self-correction, and observing more closely the reaction of others when we say or do things. Building that type of relationship takes time, it comes through experience and choosing to build it. That’s why our administrative council has carefully and thoughtfully identified three bedrock values which we believe are at the very core of all that we do here at RCOE:
- Building relationships that promote trust
- Engaging in open and honest communication
- Focusing on the needs of students and children