The Riverside County Board of Education consists of seven members who represent the seven trustee areas of the county. Board members are elected to a four-year term by the voters within their respective trustee areas (interactive trustee area map). The terms of board members are staggered to allow for continuity on the Board. From among its members, the Board elects a president and vice president at its annual July meeting.
|Riverside County Board of Education|
The Riverside County Board of Education operates under authority of the California Constitution, the State Legislature, the State Education Code and the State Board of Education. The County Board has responsibility for:
- Acting as the appellate agency for student expulsions
- Acting as the appellate agency for student interdistrict transfers
- Acting as the appellate agency for charter school petitions
- Acting as the authorizing agency for county-wide charter school petitions
- Serving as the Governing Board in adopting the curriculum for community day schools, juvenile court schools, and Career Technical Education/Regional Occupational Program classes operated by the Riverside County Superintendent of Schools
- Acquiring, holding and conveying real property for the purpose of housing the offices, programs and services of the Riverside County Superintendent of Schools
- Adopting bylaws and policies governing the operation of the Board of Education
- Adopting the County Superintendent’s annual budget
- Establishing the County Superintendent’s compensation
- Contracting for special services and advice to the board in financial, economic, accounting, engineering, legal, or administrative matters if needed
Through its role of long-range policy development and other critical functions, the Board works with the Riverside County Superintendent of Schools and staff to offer the most effective educational programs possible to the students being served directly by the Riverside County Office of Education that the Board has responsibility for.
Board of Education meetings are held on the first Wednesday of each month at 4:00 p.m. in the fourth floor Board Room of the Riverside County Office of Education main office located at 3939 Thirteenth Street in the city of Riverside. In December, the Board holds their monthly meeting in the eastern office of the Riverside County Office of Education located at 47-336 Oasis Street in the city of Indio.