Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) Overview
The California 2013–14 Budget Act and related legislation (Assembly Bill 97, Senate Bill 97, and Senate Bill 91) made significant changes to the state public school funding system. The legislation introduced the Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) which simplifies the funding process and strengthens local accountability. Through the LCFF, local educational agencies (LEAs) receive funds based on local student demographics. The Legislative Analyst’s Office Overview of LCFF from 2013 includes an explanation of the LCFF, with a 2018 update of the LCFF overview.
An important component of the LCFF is the Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP). LEAs must use the state-approved LCAP template to develop a plan that includes annual goals and actions that will be implemented to meet eight state priorities and describe the related budget. The LCFF requires County Offices of Education to approve the LCAPs and budgets for districts within their county. Contact the Riverside County Office of Education with questions about LCFF and/or LCAP.
The Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) and Annual Update Template documents and communicates local educational agencies’ (LEAs) actions and expenditures to support student outcomes and overall performance. The LCAP is a three-year plan, which is reviewed and updated annually, as required. Charter schools may complete the LCAP to align with the term of the charter school’s budget, typically one year, which is submitted to the school’s authorizer. The LCAP and Annual Update Template must be completed by all LEAs each year (Source: Approved LCAP template, Addendum page 1 of 13).
- LCAP Development Resources
- Data Support Services: RCOE provides several county, district, and site data support services using multiple platforms. Reports are produced with publicly-accessible data to allow educational stakeholders to view performance across schools and districts in Riverside County.
- Metrics aligned to LCFF State Priorities: Required metrics approved under LCFF for inclusion in LCAP.
- Resources By Priority: Resources, tools, and research aligned to LCFF state priorities.
- Stakeholder Engagement Resources: Resources, tools, and research to support stakeholder engagement.
- Student Group Research & Resources: Resources, tools, and research to support student groups.
- Timelines: Suggested timelines for LCAP development and related activities.
- LCAP Template Examples: (Under development)