Mission of AVID
The mission of AVID is to ensure that all students and most especially the least served students who are in the middle:
- Will succeed in rigorous curriculum.
- Will complete a rigorous college preparatory path.
- Will enroll in four-year colleges.
- Will become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society.
Purpose of AVID
The purpose of the AVID program is to prepare traditionally underserved students for four-year college eligibility and to make college preparatory curricula available to almost all students. Ultimately, AVID provides scaffolding, a social and academic structure to support students as they work to succeed.
AVID targets students of mid-range ability who have the potential to succeed in a rigorous academic program but who would not succeed without support. It is not a remedial program for students who are failing, and it is not for gifted students who are already performing well. It serves the students in the middle, who are capable of success but are not performing up to their potential. AVID is, at heart, a program that equips ordinary students to accomplish extraordinary things.
Student Profile AVID
Student selection criteria include:
- Students with GPAs between 2.0 and 3.5.
- Students whose state test scores are average and above average.
- Students who may be first in their family to go to college.
- Students who qualify for free or reduced-price lunch.
- Students who traditionally are underserved in four-year colleges.
RIMS AVID Web site: http://www.rimsavid.org/
For more information, please contact the College and Career Readiness unit at (951) 826-6315.