The Riverside County Office of Education is excited to partner with the Riverside Arts Council in sponsoring the Riverside County Poetry Out Loud Finals Competition.
About the Competition
The National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation have partnered with the California Arts Council to support 2020 Poetry Out Loud, a FREE high school program which encourages the nation’s youth to learn about great poetry through memorization and recitation. This dynamic program helps high school students master public speaking skills, build self-confidence learn about their literary heritage, and compete for more than $100,000 in awards.
How to Get My Students Involved
In order to compete, schools must register through the regional contact, Rachael Dzikonski at firstname.lastname@example.org. All materials and resources will be provided. Competitions will begin Fall 2019 at the school or classroom level to determine one student winner to represent their school at the regional or state finals. The state finals competition will take place February 2020 and the national finals competitions will take place April 2020.
Each winner at the state level will receive:
- A $200 cash prize and an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C.
- A $500 cash stipend for their school to purchase poetry materials.
- An opportunity to compete at the 2020 National Finals for the title of National Champion and a $20,000 prize.
Riverside County Important Dates
- Deadline to register your school: December 6, 2019
- Workshop Dates: December 18, 2019 (Indio) & December 19, 2019 (Riverside)
- Deadline to confirm County level participation: January 9, 2020
- Deadline to submit school winner information: January 17, 2020
- Riverside County Poetry Out Loud Competition: January 25, 2020
Riverside County Finals
Sponsored by RCOE
January 25, 2020 | 11:00 a.m.
The Box | 3635 Market Street
Riverside, CA | 92501