RIVERSIDE – More than 500 local high school students will participate in the month-long legal competition known as the 31st Annual Riverside County Mock Trial Competition starting at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, February 5, and leading to the final competition on Saturday, March 1. Returning champion Riverside Poly High School will face legal teams from 25 other high schools in multiple rounds of competition from throughout Riverside County during the month of February.
Mock Trial involves students arguing cases in front of real judges and scored by real attorneys. The competition is open to all students in grades 9 through 12 enrolled in public and private high schools in Riverside County. Teams consist of 8-20 students filling the courtroom roles of defense and prosecution attorneys, witnesses, clerk, and more. The winning county team will represent Riverside County at the California Mock Trial Competition to be held March 21-23 in San Jose. This year, students will argue the fictional case of a high school student charged with second-degree murder in the death of a fellow student.
First round matchups on February 5 will feature the following:
Riverside Region – Robert Presley Hall of Justice, 4100 Main Street, Riverside
- Prosecution: King HS vs. Defense: Paloma Valley HS
- Prosecution: Roosevelt HS vs. Defense: Santiago HS
- Prosecution: Centennial HS vs. Defense: Nuview Bridge Early College HS
- Prosecution: Patriot HS vs. Defense: Poly HS
- Prosecution: Palm Valley HS vs. Defense: Arlington HS
- Prosecution: North HS vs. Defense: Jurupa Valley HS
- Prosecution: Woodcrest Christian vs. Defense: Citrus Hill HS
Desert Region – Larson Justice Center, 46-200 Oasis Street, Indio
- Prosecution: Xavier College Prep HS vs. Defense: Indio HS
- Prosecution: Palo Verde Valley HS vs. Defense: Coachella Valley HS
- Prosecution: La Quinta HS vs. Defense: Palm Desert HS
Southwest Region – Southwest Justice Center, 30755-D Auld Road, Murrieta
- Prosecution: Great Oak HS vs. Defense: Hemet HS
- Prosecution: Ramona HS vs. Defense: Chaparral HS
- Prosecution: Murrieta Valley HS vs. Defense: Temecula Valley HS
For a complete listing of the locations and schedules for all rounds of the competition, visit www.rcoe.us/student-events.
The Riverside County Mock Trial is sponsored by Riverside County Office of Education (RCOE), Riverside County Bar Association (RCBA), and Riverside Superior Courts, in cooperation with the Constitutional Rights Foundation (CRF). Since 1983, more than 11,000 students have participated in Mock Trial in Riverside County.