Middle school band and choir teacher from Palm Springs Unified will be state’s nominee to National Teacher of the Year competition
RIVERSIDE – Earlier today, State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson named Dr. Brian McDaniel from Painted Hills Middle School in Palm Springs Unified School District, as one of five 2018 California Teachers of the Year.
Mathematics and robotics teacher Edwin Detoya from Bobby Duke Middle School in Coachella Valley Unified School District was named a state finalist. Additionally, Michelle Beyronneau, a mathematics teacher from Desert Hot Springs High School in Palm Springs Unified School District was named a semifinalist.
“For the third year in a row, we are excited that the state has recognized a California State Teacher of the Year from Riverside County. I extend my warmest congratulations to Dr. Brian McDaniel for being named a California Teacher of the Year and for exhibiting the grit and commitment to education for all his students at Painted Hills Middle School. We are honored that he will represent the nearly 20,000 educators in Riverside County and nearly 300,000 in all of California in the National Teacher of the Year competition later this year,” said Dr. Judy D. White, Riverside County Superintendent of Schools. “Of the top 19 teachers named by Superintendent Torlakson, I’d also like to congratulate Riverside County teacher Edwin Detoya for being named a state finalist and Michelle Beyronneau for being named a state semifinalist.”
Historical data of California Teachers of the Year from Riverside County:
- This is the third year in a row (and fourth year in the last five years) Riverside County has had a California State Teacher of the Year
- Shaun Bunn, Romoland School District (2017)
- Michelle Cherland, Desert Sands Unified School District (2016)
- Jessica Pack, Palm Springs Unified School District (2014)
- This is the fifth year in a row that Riverside County has been recognized with multiple honorees at the California State Teacher of the Year competition
- In 2003, Chauncey Veatch from Coachella Valley USD was named a California Teacher of the Year and was subsequently named as the National Teacher of the Year
All Riverside County Teachers of the Year and other educational honorees will be celebrated at the Celebrating Educators Luncheon on May 22, 2018, at the Riverside Convention Center.