Wide range of speakers set to present at annual conference to engage largest audience yet in efforts to eliminate the gaps in achievement, expectations, and opportunity for students from diverse ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
RIVERSIDE – For the 6th consecutive year, the critical topic of equity in public education will draw its largest audience to date when nearly 1,200 school, district, county, state, and multi-state educators attend the sold-out 6th Annual Excellence Through Equity Conference. Hosted by the Riverside County Office of Education, the event will take place on September 11-12, 2019, at the Renaissance Indian Wells (44400 Indian Wells Lane, Indian Wells, CA 92210).
The 2019 Excellence Through Equity Conference will honor and focus on student voice in continuing efforts to achieve equitable learning environments in public schools. Being intentional about providing space for student thoughts, ideas, and insights will help transform school climates and empower administrators and teachers to reshape their equity work. By listening and valuing student voice, students are acknowledged as valued members of the education system.
Outcomes for participants at the Excellence Through Equity Conference include:
- Expand and deepen understanding of the equity issues facing Riverside County, the state of California, and the nation.
- Learn how to address issues of equity in everyday practice, creating more equitable school cultures and climates.
- Learn from school districts who are successfully implementing systematic approaches to achieving equity in their schools.
- Continue to renew the passion for ensuring that every student in Riverside County will graduate from high school academically and socially prepared for college, the work force, and civic responsibility.
MEET THE PRESENTERS
Keynote speakers for the 2019 conference include:
- Remi Adeleke (@RemiAdeleke) – Actor, writer, and former Navy SEAL who immigrated to America from Nigeria
- Gregory Boyle (@FrGregBoyle) – Founder and Director of Homeboy Industries
- Chris Emdin (@chrisemdin) – Professor, researcher, author, and speaker
- Victor M. Rios (@drvictorrios) – Professor, author, and speaker
Additional featured speakers include:
- Abdul-Malik Muhammad (@akobenllc) – Akoben LLD and Transforming Lives, Inc.
- Jacqueline Perez (@jacquelinep001) – Assistant Superintendent, former teacher/principal
Previous keynote speakers have included: Jeff Duncan-Andrade, Pedro Noguera, Tavis Smiley, Alan Blankenstein, Shaun Harper, Bernard Kinsey, Kati Haycock, Michael Bonner, Alberto Carvalho, Steve Perry, Ron Clark, Consuelo Castillo Kickbusch, and Talithia Williams.
Attendees include educators from 49 school districts in California, multiple county offices of education, universities, and representatives from the California Department of Education (CDE)
A significant increase in pre-registered attendees is due, in part, to the conference’s continued focus on state priority-aligned best practices that establish equitable school environments for all learners.
“When nearly 1,200 educators choose to lean in and listen to student voices as part of committing to equitable practices in their schools, there is a tremendous opportunity to not only impact individual lives, but fundamentally transform the systems and processes that power public schools across our county, our state, and our nation,” said Riverside County Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Judy D. White.
Conference sponsors for this event are: The College Board, California Baptist University, Grand Canyon University, Azusa Pacific University, University of California, Riverside Graduate School of Education, California Association of African-American Superintendents and Administrators, Curriculum Associates, International Dyslexia Foundation, Learning Ovations, Logan River Academy, Thoughtexchange, Technology in Education, Inc.
The conference will be held at the Renaissance Indian Wells Resort, 44400 Indian Wells Lane in Indian Wells, from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. each day. Registration is now closed. For more information, visit the Excellence Through Equity Website.