Information from the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
Office of the Labor Commissioner
DLSE Paid Sick Leave Posting (PRINTABLE PDF FOR POSTING)
- An employee who on or after July 1, 2015, works in California for 30 or more days within a year from the beginning of employment is entitle to paid sick leave.
- Paid sick leave accrues at the rate of one hour per every 30 hours worked, paid at the employee’s regular wage rate. Accrual shall begin on the first day of employment or July 1, 2015, whichever is later.
- Accrued paid sick leave shall carry over to the following year of employment and may be capped at 48 hours or 6 days. However, subject to specified conditions, if an employer has a paid sick leave, paid leave or paid time off policy (PTO) that provides no less than 24 hours or three days of paid leave or paid time off, no accrual or carry over is required if the full amount of leave is received at the beginning of each year in accordance with the policy.
- An employee may use accrued paid sick days beginning on the 90th day of employment.
- An employer shall provide paid sick days upon the oral or written request of an employee for themselves or a family member for the diagnosis, care or treatment of an existing healthy condition or preventive car, or specified purposes for an employee who is a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking.
- An employer may limit the use of paid sick days to 24 hours or three days in each year of employment.
Retaliation or discrimination against an employee who requests paid sick days or uses paid sick days or both is prohibited. An employee can file a complaint with the Labor Commissioner against an employer who retaliates or discriminates against the employee.
For additional information, you may contact your employer or the local office of the Labor Commissioner. Locate an office by looking at the list of offices on the Labor Commissioner’s website using the alphabetical listing of cities, locations, and communities. Staff is available in person and by telephone.