Foster Youth Services Coordinating Program offers a variety of program services, including:
- Assistance with reviewing CALPADS 5.7 reports for foster youth.
- Verification of foster youth status (CWS/CMS).
- Collaboration with county departments and agencies, including local colleges and Independent Living Programs.
- Training for all stakeholders on critical issues, including educational rights, legal mandates, and other school related topics.
- Executive Advisory Council (EAC) Meetings designed based on district feedback featuring presentations by districts on best practices, agency news from DPSS, Probation, and
Behavioral Health. Council members provide valuable feedback on the local needs of foster youth as well as determining the direction the FYSCP will take for each grant cycle.
- Guidance to districts on meeting the requirements of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Transportation requirements for foster youth.
- Facilitate disputes that arise among agencies financially responsible for ESSA transportation.
RCOE’s Division of Educational Services and Foster Youth Services Coordinating Program, work together as collaborative partners to provide comprehensive support to districts eligible for differentiated assistance based on the foster youth student group performance level indicators on the California School Dashboard. Differentiated assistance supports are tailored to meet the unique needs of the eligible district. The FYSCP serves as a thought partner for districts by providing support in:
- Root cause analysis
- Review of district data to determine areas of strength and opportunity for growth
- Capacity building by training staff to meet the needs specific to foster youth
Trainings an Workshops provided by our FYSCP Counselors
- AB 490 (School Stability/School of Origin).
- AB 216 Minimum state graduation requirements.
- Laws and regulations related to the education and welfare of foster youth.
- Understanding the needs of foster youth.• Understanding the child welfare system.
- College transition of foster youth (California Chafee Grant, Guardian Scholars, College Application Process, FAFSA).
- Trauma informed practices.
- Sharing of best practices (districts and other county offices).
- Building a district wide foster youth mentoring team.
- Other trainings as requested by districts.