Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”) is a federal law that prohibits sex-based discrimination in all educational programs and activities, including athletic programs. No person shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity operated by RCOE. Title IX protects all participants in RCOE’s educational programs and activities, including students, parents, employees, and job applicants. RCOE does not discriminate on the basis of sex. Discrimination on the basis of sex can include sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Our County Office of Education and the Title IX Coordinator are aware of and acknowledge the new Title IX regulations released on May 6, 2020 and effective as of August 14, 2020. Our Title IX team received training on these new regulations on August 7, 2020, and have made our Title IX training materials available online for review. We are in the process of reviewing and revising our Title IX policy and practices, which involves hearing from our stake-holders in order to implement a fair, thorough and impartial Title IX complaint process and COE response. As always, if you want to report a sexual harassment incident, please reach out to our Title IX Coordinator, Dr. Heather Williams, at:
3939 Thirteenth Street
Riverside, CA 92502
In addition to Title IX, the California Education Code prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in schools. (California Education Code §§ 220-221.1.) Other state and federal laws also prohibit discrimination and ensure equality in education. Please refer to an overview of all RCOE’s nondiscrimination policies and the following specific policies and procedures regarding sexual harassment:
- Non-Discrimination in Employment – Board Policy 4030
- Non-Discrimination in Employment – Administrative Regulation 4030
- Non-Discrimination in Programs and Activities – Board Policy 0410
- Sexual Harassment (Employees) – Administrative Regulation 4119.11.01/4129.01/4319.01
- Non-Discrimination/Harassment (Students) – Board Policy 5145.3
- Non-Discrimination/Harassment (Students) – Administrative Regulation 5145.3
- Sexual Harassment (Students) – Board Policy 5145.7
- Sexual Harassment (Students) – Administrative Regulation 5145.7
- Uniform Complaint Procedures – Board Policy 1312.3
Information provided here applies to every RCOE school site and all RCOE programs and activities.
Pupil and Public Rights Under Title IX
Title IX Coordinator
Filing a Complaint
How RCOE Investigates Complaints
For more information regarding Title IX and sex equity in education or in RCOE employment, please contact RCOE’s Title IX coordinator.